Though as a separate administrative unit the Faculty of Foreign Languages was formed in 1950, Foreign Languages had long before been taught at L'viv University. In 1950, the Faculty consisted of six departments: English, German, French, Spanish, Classical Philology and the Department of World Literature which had formely constituted a part of the Philological Faculty. In 1959 the Department of Foreign Languages was formed to teach English and German to students of other faculties.
There are eight departments at the Faculty today.
Department of Classical Philology is one of the oldest at Lviv
University. Its traditions reach as far back as the 17th century. In
the 20th century the department reached the peak of its activity. At
the time, such world known scientists as L. Tsviklinskyi, Y.
Koval'skyi, T. Sinko, R. Hanshynets', Y. Manteifel, J. Kurylowicz, S.
Vitkovskyi worked at the department. During the Post-War period the
department was headed by V. Pastushchyn, M. Bilyk, Y. Didyk, Y. Kobiv,
V. Maslyuk, R. Olenych. These scholars played a significant role in
creating the scientific school of Antique Languages Studies
contributing to world Classical Philology. An especially important
period in Professor S.Lourye's scientific activity falls for his work
at L'viv University (1953 1964).
Translations constitute a conspicuous part of the work of the department. A school of artistic translation has been developed falling back on deeply rooted tradition. Its renowned representatives are: M. Bilyk, Y. Mushak, Y. Kobiv, V. Maslyuk, Y. Tsybko.
The graduates of the department of Classical Philology receive the speciality: "Classsical Philology. Teacher of Old Greek and Latin Languages" as well as an additional speciality: "Teacher of English (or German) Language".
The Department of English Philology was formed as a separate administrative unit of the Faculty in 1950 even though English had been taught at L'viv University in the inter-war period. During its half-century history the department has become a center for training qualified specialists both teachers and scholars. The department was headed by Professor M.Rudnytskyi, Associate Professors P. Zelenskyi, L. Kuznyetsova, O. Tsyovh. They contributed to the best traditions of philological science and trained generations of young specialists.
The Department of Romance Philology was founded in 1897. Besides French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and Catalonian were being taught. Many well-known scientists took an active part in creating the department: E.Porembovych (the founder), J. Kurylowicz, Z. Cherny, K. Yaretskyi, T. Boy-Zhelenkyi. During a long period of time the department was headed by O.Dombrovskyi - famous scientist, literary critic, translator. In the after-war period, mainly young teachers formed the staff of the department enriching scientific and educational traditions with new researches. Among them: I. Obuhivska, S. Palyatynska, O. Tymofyeyeva, M. Voytyuk, S. Voloshchak. The department trains specialists in French and Spanish (the only site in Western Ukraine). In 1998 Italian started to be taught as the second language. Students of other faculties are also taught at the department. The department also promoted the creation of the "Aliance Francais" society.
The Department of German Philology is an important center of Germanic Studies in Ukraine. Its history begins in 1784, when Professor L.Umlyauf founded the first Germanic Seminar at L'viv University. The best traditions were passed on by famous linguists and literary critics of that time: Professors Hloh, Tsviklinskyi, Verner, Dol'mayer, Zauer, Shats. The legacy of the department was greatly enriched by J. Kurylowicz. In the post-war years, these traditions were further developed by a young generation of scholars headed by Professor B. Zadorozhnyi, an outstanding linguist. Owing to the pedagogical and scientific activity of Professors and Associate Professors: B. Zadorozhnyi, M. Rozdol'skyi, E. Kashchiy, A. Myuller, F. Shumylyak, M. Svyentsitska, M. Yatsykevych, S. Pelynyo, V. Voznytsya, O. Vynnytska, O. Skrypiy, O. Ripetska the department has grown into a leading seat of Germanic Studies in Ukraine.
The Department of World Literature (its first title was "The Department of Western Literature"), was founded at the Philological Faculty in 1944, when the University was opened after the War. In 1950, the department became a part of the Faculty of Foreign Languages. In May 1997 it received its present title. The staff conduct sessions at four faculties of the University (Journalism, Philological, Philosophy and Foreign Languages), reading the courses on World Literature and National Literature. The department also trains specialists: "Teacher of World Literature" at the Philological Faculty.
The Department of Foreign Languages is the key seat in the branch for the entire Western Ukraine. It was founded in 1959. It provides teaching of English and German Languages at all Faculties of the University to non-specialists. The department also helps improve educational process, maintains professional contacts with the Higher Educational Establishments of Ukraine, in particular, Pedagogical Universities of Volyn' and Ternopil, Ternopil' Academy of Agriculture.
In 1997, the department was reorganized, and two separate departments were formed: the Department of Foreign Languages for Humanities and the Department of Foreign Languages for Natural Sciences.
In March 1998 The Department of Translation Studies and Contrastive Linguistics was set up within the Faculty of Foreign Languages In compliance with the resolution of the University Council of 30th September 1998 the Department was named after Hryhoriy Kochur, one of the most outstanding Ukrainian translators and a renowned scholar in the field of translation studies. However, the training of English-Ukrainian translators and interpreters was launched yet in the 1996/97 academic year to meet a pressing international need in the challenging environment of the new and complex relationships emerging in Ukraine. Highly-qualified interpreters and translators with a profound knowledge of working languages, proper philological background and skills in two-ways translation/interpreting are needed for diplomatic missions, embassies, consulates, international and local organizations and companies in Ukraine and abroad.
The Department of International Communication and Translation was created in March 2008. It is headed by Professor Alla Paslavska, who researches the problems of Language Universalia, Linguistic Typology, International Communication.
The scientific interests of the staff of the Department embrace wide range of the problems of Theory and Practice of German-Ukrainian Translation (V. Sulym, M. Smoliy), Intercultural Communication (A. Paslavska), Genre Studies (K. Dyakiv), Contrastive Grammar and Lexicology (T. Struk), Methodology of Teaching German Language (V. Sulym, M. Smoliy), Stylistics (T. Lyashenko), resulting in the Monograph "Negation as Language Universalia: Principles, Parameters, Functioning" (2005) and Manual "Practical Course of German Lexicology" (2008) by A. Paslavska, Text-Book for the students of Economics "Business German" (2008) and "German Grammar Reference Book" (2008) by M. Smoliy, Text-Book Funktionalstilistik der deutschen Sprache by T. Lyashenko, a set of manuals and translations by V. Sulym.
The staff of the Department participate in the budget interfaculty scientific research "Universal and Idio-Ethnic in Intercultural Communication " (20092011).
The Department maintains close scientific contacts with the Universities of Austria, Germany and Poland (Vienna, Munich, Tübingen, Erlangen, Krakow), as well as with Der Internationale Deutschlehrerverband (IDV). Since 2005 A. Paslavska heads Ukrainischer Deutschlehrer - und Germanistenverband (UDGV). The staff of the Department participate in the organization of annual UDGV Conference, All-Ukrainian Seminar on Intercultural Communication, German Language Days in Ukraine.
The Faculty of Foreign Languages has established and maintains close contacts with many European universities: University d'Angers (France), Munich and Freiburg Universities (Germany), University Extremadura (Spain), John Moorse Liverpool University (Great Britain). Professional links were established with scientists from Austria, Belgium, Luxemburg, Poland, Russia, Slovakia, Greece. Many times staff members applied for international fellowships on different scientific programmes organized by IREX, "British Council" and "Goethe-Institute in Ukraine", Cambridge and Princeton Universities, practised in the leading higher educational institutions of Europe and the USA. Four departments ( English, French Philologies and two - Foreign Languages for the non-specialists) of the Faculty participated in the EEC International Project "TEMPUS-Tacis".
Within the Project, over 30 staff members, 10 postgraduates and senior students had a practice at the Universities of d'Angers, Caceres and Liverpool.
The specialists are trained at both day time and extramurial studies. The graduates of the faculty receive the qualification of: "Philologist, Teacher of Foreign Language and Literature". The graduates from the department of Applied Linguistics named after Hryhoriy Kochur receive the qualification of "Translator. Teacher of English Language".
To improve the quality of training students the Scientific Council of the Faculty developed new approaches to the system of level education. It presupposes the reorientation of teaching Foreign Languages according to the European standards through establishing educational curricula and system of testing for the second and third Foreign Languages. It allows the students to receive a certificate as a supplement to the Diploma stipulating the degrees of Bachelor and Master. New vertical programmes were developed by the staff of the Faculty to promote a possibility for the future graduates to more widely implement the acquired knowledge in their professional activity.
The Postgraduate and Doctorship Studies help train qualified specialists for the Faculty. The graduates of the Faculty of Foreign Languages apply their knowledge in the sphere of education, they work at scientific institutions, tourist centers, embassies, governmental and commercial structures.